Followers

Monday, August 17, 2009

Balto, My Balto!


Here is a true Dog Hero.

Of the 51 sculptures dotted throughout Central Park, this is by far my favorite.

Just off East Drive at 67th Street, a bronze sculpture by artist Frederick George Richard Roth (1872-1944) was added to the landscape of my Park in 1925.


The slate tablet on the granite boulder explains it all. Balto, a black & white Alaskan Malamute lead a dogsled team through a blizzard to deliver the antitoxin to halt a diphtheria epidemic. Balto and his teammates are all heroes.

Best of all, when we enter the Park at Central Park South, meander through the zoo, (run up hill #1) take a left at BALTO, walk through Mom favorite promenade, past the band shell, around the Bethesda Fountain....and then it's time for BACON!

That's how I spent my Saturday. It's just been so hot here in NYC it took me 2 days of rest (and plenty of a/c) to write about it!

Untill our next adventure...

Copyright 2009, Central Bark Designs, Inc., All Rights Reserved

No comments: