Followers

Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Soundtrack of My Life

You know how when you go to the movies, say, “When Harry Met Sally”, and there are beautiful shots of Central Park with a soulful saxophone playing softly in the background. (OK – so my Marine buddies might not – but trust me – it’s a girl-thing) Its not just in the movies. In Central Park – its part of life. My life.

The first time it happened I felt like very “Holly Golightly”….entering The Park off Central Park South I approach the Pond and then I hear it. Softly as first. I was momentarily distracted by the ducks and the thought of a good swim….but the music becomes stronger….and then as we go around the bend, there he is. My very own saxophone player.

“Moon River” lingers as we continue down the path, cross 65th Street and head for The Mall.

The Mall is Mom’s favorite spot in The Park. Not one of her favorites. Her absolute favorite. You’d think she was walking under the canopy of American Elms with George Clooney at her side – but no – it’s just me. I’m not crazy about the pea gravel promenade – but you can’t argue with the serenity of the place. Four rows of Olmsted & Vaux’s favorite American Elms. The wide avenue is lined with benches facing one another. At times I meet a new friend along the way. I keep checking for Clooney but no such luck (I’m trying Mom).


Before you know it the sounds of the saxophone fade and are replaced with something else. Something wonderful. Something they call the Blues.

We make our way past the Naumberg Bandshell, and there by the old world carved benches not one – but four musicians. Playing the Blues.


If you’re not a fan of the blues I can only assume you’ve never truly listened to the Blues. Deep, passionate, soulful. The Blues. We took a seat along the benches and just enjoyed the moment.

You may have noticed I did a quick puddle-dive on my way past the bandshell. Sometimes I just can't help myself. We could stay in this one spot for hours, but it’s time to move on.

The Blues drift away, and up ahead I see him. (No, not Clooney) We walk down the steps to the Bethesda Terrace. There through the archway with the Bethesda Fountain in the background, my 2nd very own saxophone player. And he’s playing classic Billy Joel. This is a perfect New York day.

It’s time to start heading home. As difficult as it is to leave The Park – I know I’ll be back…for another adventure.

Copyright 2009, Central Bark Designs, Inc. All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

style chronicle said...

great pics, sounds lovely...